Word-I-Ness

Word-i-Ness/Read Mine. Share Yours.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Puppet Truths and Appreciation


I like puppets. I like that you can make them be whoever you want them to be. Mr. Rogers was good at that. Wait, don't leave me... read on, please.
He created this puppet and gave him these qualities:

Who is King Friday the XIII? (voiced by Fred Rogers) - He is the imperious monarch of the Neighborhood. He is relatively egocentric, irrational, resistant to change, and temperamental, although open-minded enough to listen when told he is wrong. He has a fondness for giving long-winded speeches and using big words. Despite these qualities, he's basically a good regent, capable of summarizing the lesson he has learned after something has gone wrong. 



A friend posted this quote this morning. It has me thinking and pondering....


In his 2001 commencement address at Marquette University, the late Fred (Mister) Rogers said: "For a long time I wondered why I felt like bowing when people showed their appreciation for the work that I've been privileged to do. What I've come to understand is that we who bow are probably-whether we know it or not-acknowledging the presence of the eternal: we're bowing to the eternal in our neighbor. You see, I believe that appreciation is a holy thing, that when we look for what's best in the person we happen to be with at the moment, we're doing what God does. So, in loving and appreciating our neighbor, we're participating in something truly sacred."


Mr. Rogers & King Friday XIII


I realized when I read the quote that my thoughts about eternal things - Er... please read 'things', people - has not been sacred enough. 
Mr. Rogers! you connected some dots for me. Thank you, sir!


What I knew....
There is eternity  -  I am me housed in a body.


I had heard about the eternal living in me and others, and believe it. 


                                          Appreciating other is a good and right thing to do.


But this picture that he spoke. Stops me in my tracks. Actually it stopped my heart with a giant check mark.


Flashback to one post earlier... Splinters and Planks.... I have so much more to learn. The older my body gets the less I know. It's like my younger body with it's thick walls and strong beams keeps some eternal realizations OUT. 


Could it be, as my body grows older, more of the depth of the eternal can get in? As the walls of this world around me weaken can I see out the cracks to the future of what is true and eternal?


I don't know. I'd like to think so.
House with "eyes" looking out and up


But  honestly... Today, after this many years here... how many? Um, 60.


As I was saying, after this many years here, I know little of what is really, really real. Because here in this place I see darkly. But someday, I will see clearly. And that brings me peace.


Maybe we should think of our time here like this.... 


"I have never really considered  myself as a TV star I always thought I was a neighbor who just came in for a visit." - Fred McFeely Rogers





No comments: