Word-I-Ness

Word-i-Ness/Read Mine. Share Yours.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's Been a While and I Still Love Chocolate

It's true, its been awhile since I've posted. Busy job hunting, gardening, enjoying time with friends, and reflecting, (*lots of reflecting) on what my next steps (big picture) should... could... will be.
In the midst of all of that reflecting I have also been doing quite a bit of experimenting with recipes. I have always been known to try new ones and make up many of my own. And my daughter's recent decision to go paleo exposed me to a whole different perspective (thanks Meggie). That, coupled with the discovery of my sensitivity to gluten ... so that is why my skin was so itchy!... and my determination to cut out cane sugar set my curious mind onto new quests in culinary experiences.
Surely dear reader, you can understand the dilemma  - because I still love chocolate -  I wanted needed to find a recipe I could call dessert and still be able to scream "Yes, I am meeting  my goals"  and had a comfort food sort of texture.. You know, that texture reminiscent of childhood, which fortunately included creamy things like... Junket, Instant Pudding, Bosco & Milk, Jello, and yes, even cream sauce made with Velveeta. And then don't forget 
             Grandma's Homemade Light as Air Three (or Four) Layer Frosted Cakes and Pies (read flaky crusts) and Mom's to Die for Buttery Sugary Cookies.


Finally I found a recipe I thought worthy of trying  - But I was very, very, very, very skeptical.
                 Why was I skeptical? - Ask anyone that attended my wedding and tasted 
                                                ~  My Carob Avocado Wedding Cake ~
               (homemade by me, the crazy bride-to- be, who had no money & could do it all anyway)


Wedding Cake.. you know, the one reason people stick around after the meal. Mine? Um, it was unfortunately a dismal palate failure. 
                  Hated, like spit it out on the plate, hated by ALL the guests and 
                    loved by one lonely park ranger. 
Yes, I left my reception with him happily munching on the whole cake. I was so shocked when I took that bite from my then husband, I mean it was so fragrant when I baked it. So... I didn't bother to run a taste test. Just call me foolish and embarrassed
I google-d high and low to find you that recipe... but for some (gee I wonder why) reason I couldn't find the exact one.... You're welcome.


Setting skepticism aside I forged ahead and commenced my search.  I saw a version first on Pinterest. Yes, I admit to spending a bit of time there. I followed the link but it wasn't quite what I wanted so I set to searching and found over at "Edible Perspective" a recipe whose photos said, "Amazing"
Though very skeptical, yet wishing so deeply for dessert, I went shopping for said required fruits.


Here is Edible Perspective's original recipe.


And now my friends here is the amazing .... smooth, velvety, chocolaty, healthy, low calorie, dairy free, cane sugar free, full of surprising fruit, tastefully reminiscent of childhood recipe story.
As I blended and tasted I tweaked the recipe just a bit.  But still I must admit that as I scooped it into the little bowls I was VERY SKEPTICAL. 
Why, you ask? Because frankly, it tasted AWFUL. ... not quite spit it out awful but pretty awful. Whispering in the recesses of my mind I heard my grandma and my mom saying, "the flavors have to marry and meld, just let it be in the refrigerator." 


So I did. 
And oh my goodness they were so right!  
Now picture it.... I was alone, late at night, when I tasted the married version. 


The outcome?.... Note the caption on my  photo - (*I apologize for the lack of focus, I just got off the phone with Canon and I am sending my camera into them again on Monday)
 

As I scraped my last spoonful up, I said right out loud....
"Oh my gosh, this is seriously good (and giggled)!"
 I even served it to a guest the next day and she promptly licked her spoon clean!


My version of the original recipe:

Chocolate Avocado Banana Pudding (serves 6) only about 135 calories each

  • 2 avocados, ripe
  • 2 medium bananas, ripe
  • 6-8T unsweetened cocoa powder - I used 8
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon Blue Agave
  • About 1/3 cup coconut milk (light)
  • Juice of about ½ fresh orange – watch your consistency, just enough to add a secret flavor
  1. In a food processor or blender, combine the avocado + banana + vanilla and process until smooth.  Scrape down the sides of bowl as necessary.
  2. Add the cocoa powder and cinnamon and begin to dribble in the coconut milk to help keep the mixture moving and blending.  Process until smooth.  Add the orange juice squeezing lightly on the orange to let it drip into the blending mixture. Spoon into serving dishes or pile into an almond pie crust.
  3. Refrigerate until ready to serve and add any topping you like.
  4. Cover and eat within 2-3 days.

What do you think? Will you try it? Do you have a version of your own? Comment away please!

No comments: